Wednesday 15 June 2016

Matariki

Have you ever looked up at the night sky and gazed at the stars?
You might have seen a group of seven called Matariki.
Matariki is also the name for the Maori New Year.
You can see the stars of Matariki for most of the year, but they disappear from the night sky in Aotearoa in April. 
  
We have been learning to celebrate  Martariki in many different ways.
Martariki is about joining together and doing fun activities like carving and Matariki games.  


I have been learning to carve.
For carving you need a chisel, a mullet and wood to carve.
To carve you need to put your sharp end of your chisel on an angle in the wood and the wooden end of the chisel on the top. Grab the mullet and bang it on the wooden end of the chisel now your carving

The learning muscle I used to get out of the learning pit was my perseverance muscle.
I am proud of myself because I tried something new which was Carving I have never done Carving before.
Something that challenged me was learning how to carve and go around curves.
I like how you can create anything by carving.

By Balin



1 comment: